Hey guys it’s me again,
So I’ve been thinking about fear. What is fear really? Why does it show up? How can we get rid of it? Are there any signs to know it’s coming?
I have to confess, these thoughts and questions came up because even though I’ve posted for a few months I still take a long time before I hit that publish button! Why? You may be asking. well if you have read any of my earlier posts you know I write about my life experiences, thoughts etc. It’s basically me inside out in cyber space for all to read.
I don’t know how others do it daily but it has had me pausing lengthily between posts. Now I do write on paper but it takes a bit for it to get into cyber space. It’s quite okay when you look okay on the outside and no one knows your thoughts or experiences. However quite another when there is a continuous exposure of your thoughts feelings and mistakes for people you know and don’t know to see.
Now when I put my thoughts down on paper it seems to help a lot, but really Lord can’t I still write about skin care or may be weight loss and publish those? …… okay does that silence on the matter mean no ?
So another confession… every time I write I get that inner……. you know… satisfaction? Every time I write I know I move closer to that place that I am going but don’t know the address for. I just know it’s where I need to go.
So many times we choose to stay at the wrong address. We choose to not do the things that will take us out of our comfort zones and into the unknown. We can never be fully satisfied in comfort zone, something will always be missing. Only purpose will bring you that thing that you are looking for.
Every time I hit that publish button I expose myself some more, but I also learn more about myself in the process of writing.
I read somewhere that you overcome fear by doing that which you are fearful of.
I’ve heard many speakers,writers and successful persons in general that say fear always shows up anytime something new is about to be attempted.
What is fear?
dictionary.com says fear is :
- Some say False Evidence Appearing Real.
- Others say it’s a story you told yourself about something that may happen in the future.
- I remember one speaker saying if you are going to do something new and it does not scare you then you are aiming too low set new goals!
Why does it show up anyway?
Does it sense we are about to make a life changing move?
That someone or something is going to be forever changed because of us? Maybe it realises we will mend a broken relationship by finally speaking our true feelings to that person.
I think it shows up because it can and most people don’t let it know it’s not welcome.
Questions to ponder:
- Are you afraid of doing or of what others may say because of what you are doing?
- Is it fear of standing out? Not looking like everyone else around you?
- Are thinking you can’t make a difference, it’s too small to count or too little to matter?
- Are you depriving us of your gift and blaming it on fear? Don’t use fear as an excuse not to do, it really loves that!
- Remember instances when you were blessed by someone’s book, speech, smile, word of encouragement, meal, blog post, hug, gift, movie etc. ( I could go on) how did you feel when you received it? Again who is waiting on you? Who has prayed and said there must be an answer but you refuse to see what you have to offer as of great value.
- Make small moves daily forward.
- Release your fear and hold on to your desire/passion
- Is your perspective correct? My pastor asked us last week : “Are you looking at your life through clean lens?” Are you looking with the right information? Do you need better or more info?
- According to NIKE “Just do it!” – it often comes down to this one for me. I have to end up just jumping in already! When you do you wonder what you were making all that fuss for!
- Surrounding yourself with persons who will speak positively into your life is always a plus.
- Speak to yourself, for goodness sake let your voice be louder than what fear is saying. (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!) check out my earlier post I declare. I feel like I can fly sometimes when I’m done.
- What are you feeding yourself? Is it I can or I can’t?
- Study people who did what you want to do and succeeded. Success leaves clues.
- Let it know whether it shows up or not it does not alter the decision already made to move forward.
- When I face things that cause me to feel fear I try to remember past instances when I thought I couldn’t do something but I did and succeeded or maybe I failed (at least I had the guts to try!).
- Commit to do. Plan and execute. I commit to writing two blog posts every month for the next 3 months and then once per week.
Now you may be saying: Really Jiselle that’s it? Those things are so easy to write, I need real things I can do! I promise you can do what you have said you can’t using what I’ve written above.
So are you going to wait for fear to leave? or are you going to do that thing anyway with fear standing next to you ?
Take back that power you have given to that four letter word and use it to propel you forward.
Remember the presence of fear does not mean you can’t do.
So I urge you today to do that which you have delayed to do. Be the change agent you have been called to be. Let your voice be heard.
Hit that publish button continually! I promise with every step it gets easier to hit publish once you let go of fear and focus on purpose. Don’t miss the opportunity for new and better things by staying in that safe mediocre lane, instead launch out for big! God bless!!